Wednesday 22 August 2007

rendering and organisation

So I have been animating for a while now, I have been rendering pretty much at the same time on another machine. For a while I was finding it hard to keep track of what was final and what was not. I have sorted it now with a list of all my predicted shots. On a larger project usually people name their shots AAA, AAB, AAC, AAD etc. This is because it is then easy to keep track of things, and add in extra shots (and they do not become out of order as can sometimes happen with numbered shots). However I have found this to be a problem with my project, this is because I have relatively few shots, If I had a story board then it almost certainly would have been necessary (I decided against this early on so that I could let my project breathe, allowing inspiration and creativity to be at the front of my thinking). So now I have a piece of scrap paper with the names that I have attributed to each shot. This allows me to know exactly what is happening within that shot. I then write down next to the shots whether I have modeled all the props, animated, rendered and composited that shot.

At present I am pretty close to having a working film, of the seventeen shots that I would like in my film, I have five that I have not begun animating yet (and they are not integral to the film) but all the other shots are either in late stages of production (compositing) or are ready for editing. I have found that most shots have been animated in two days, after my initial struggle with rendering I can now render and composite a shot in less than a day. I am now only being held back by the physical and mental strain of such a huge workload.

No comments: