Friday 31 August 2007

Audiences

I am in the later stages of production now and currently just waiting on the final sound design and then I can post it up on the internet.

I have however been showing the film in its current state to people to see what kind of reaction I get, so far it looks very good, I have not shown it to one person who has not laughed, and everybody seems to be laughing at the things I want them to. Interestingly though I have found that different people are laughing at different jokes, some people find the joke with the foot hilarious, whilst other people find the bit with the deer funny etc. This is exactly what I wanted, I have managed to create a film that appeals to different people for different reasons. I found that when I showed it to people who have dogs I get the strongest reaction - and on two occasions they claimed it was their own dog on screen, and that I must have been watching their dog and copying their movements.

One comment I received, however, was that perhaps the order of the last scenes was wrong - i.e a giant foot is far more entropic than a deer. However, the giant foot exists in our cultural memeplex, and therefore its entropic significance is undercut by our acceptance of it as an animation convention, the scene with the deer however provides the viewer with a conclusion that they are unlikely to have any cultural experience of, so a deer in a park being caught by a domesticated dog is quite high in entropy. The other reason for the order that I have chosen is to do with providing the audience with a conclusion that they can accept as final. Having the dog kill the deer is actually quite horrific. Having the deer come back to life after the credits ties up all the loose ends, my hope is that if the audience is pleased that the deer is alive then I have done my job - I will have managed to convince my audience to emote with the characters in my film.

No comments: